The Taiyo Jet Hopper II (or Jet Hopper 2) is a 1:14 radio controlled car manufactured by Taiyo (Japan), the final version of the Jet Hopper series, released in Japan and other countries across the world under different brands in 1988.
Upgrades. Lots of Upgrades.
Released later that same year, the 1988 Taiyo Jet Hopper II included a mix of standard features and upgraded parts.
- 9.6v ‘Turbo’ 8xAA battery power
- Chrome plated rims
- New Larger 1:14 Chassis (original was 1:16)
- New Rear differential
- New Wider Air Filled Front and Rear Tires
- New Heat Sink on the 280 Mabuchi motor
- New Redesigned and lightened chassis which improved performance and handling
- Top Speed of 27kmh/17mph
The Jet Hopper series was one of the few major global successes from Taiyo that never had a 9.6V Battery Pack due to its core design requiring the batteries within the cockpit area.
The Jet Hopper II came in Red (27Mhz), and Black (49Mhz), but also this rare silver color.
A popular chassis
The Jet Hopper II chassis was used in many different Taiyo and Tyco vehicles for many years after it’s released, including:
- 1988 Taiyo ‘Black Rider’ in Europe
- 1989 Taiyo Heads Up! Hopper
- 1990 Tyco Heads Up! Hopper
- 1990 Tyco Heads Up! Wild Thing
- 1992 Tyco Shocker
And no doubt many others…
We have nothing but great things to say about the Jet Hopper II / Jet Hopper 2 and its shared chassis variants. Any Taiyo / Tyco collector is sure to have at least one, and more likely several in their collection, making it an excellent car to purchase if you’re just starting out in the hobby.